PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Gov. Tom Corbett on Monday ordered Pennsylvania flags at state facilities lowered to half-staff in honor of a Philadelphia firefighter who was killed when a roof collapsed beneath him as he battled a weekend fire.
Capt. Michael Goodwin, 53, fell from the roof of a three-story building in the city’s Queen Village section Saturday night and was pronounced dead at the scene. Fellow firefighter Andrew Golewski was burned while trying to rescue him.
In a statement, Corbett said flags will remain at half-staff until sundown Wednesday, the day of Goodwin’s burial. Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter had previously ordered flags flown at half-staff at all city buildings for the next 30 days.
Executive Fire Chief Richard Davison said Goodwin, a 29-year veteran, will receive a posthumous promotion to battalion chief that will enhance his family’s benefits and allow him to retire at that rank. Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said during the weekend that he had been hoping Goodwin would one day make chief.
Goodwin is survived by a wife, two grown children and three siblings, one of whom is a police officer, according to fire officials.
Viewing and memorial services for Goodwin will be held from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday and from 9 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. Thursday at Givinish Funeral Home. A funeral service will be held at noon Thursday at Saint Michael’s Lutheran Church with burial to follow immediately afterward at Hillside Cemetery in Roslyn.
The loss has rocked the department as it prepared to mark the one-year anniversary of an April 9 blaze at a warehouse that killed Capt. Robert Neary, 59, and Daniel Sweeney, 25. They also died in a collapse, which came as they inspected an adjacent building.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development