PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Gov. Tom Corbett on Monday ordered Pennsylvania flags at state facilities lowered to half-staff in honor of a Philadelphia firefighter who was killed when a roof collapsed beneath him as he battled a weekend fire.
Capt. Michael Goodwin, 53, fell from the roof of a three-story building in the city’s Queen Village section Saturday night and was pronounced dead at the scene. Fellow firefighter Andrew Golewski was burned while trying to rescue him.
In a statement, Corbett said flags will remain at half-staff until sundown Wednesday, the day of Goodwin’s burial. Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter had previously ordered flags flown at half-staff at all city buildings for the next 30 days.
Executive Fire Chief Richard Davison said Goodwin, a 29-year veteran, will receive a posthumous promotion to battalion chief that will enhance his family’s benefits and allow him to retire at that rank. Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said during the weekend that he had been hoping Goodwin would one day make chief.
Goodwin is survived by a wife, two grown children and three siblings, one of whom is a police officer, according to fire officials.
Viewing and memorial services for Goodwin will be held from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday and from 9 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. Thursday at Givinish Funeral Home. A funeral service will be held at noon Thursday at Saint Michael’s Lutheran Church with burial to follow immediately afterward at Hillside Cemetery in Roslyn.
The loss has rocked the department as it prepared to mark the one-year anniversary of an April 9 blaze at a warehouse that killed Capt. Robert Neary, 59, and Daniel Sweeney, 25. They also died in a collapse, which came as they inspected an adjacent building.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas