MISSION VIEJO, Calif. (AP) – Authorities say autopsy results show that the son of popular megachurch pastor Rick Warren died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Sheriff’s spokesman Jim Amormino said Monday that 27-year-old Matthew Warren died at about 10 a.m. on Friday.
Amormino says the ruling was also based on evidence found at the scene.
To whom the weapon belonged to is still unclear. The Warrens said in an email on Saturday that their son struggled with deep depression and suicidal thoughts.
The elder Warren founded Saddleback Church in 1980, and watched it grow to 20,000 members and several campuses. In 2002, he published the multimillion-selling book “The Purpose Driven Life.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food