Americans spends billions of dollars each year on protecting their personal identities from would-be identity thieves.
But have you ever thought about protecting your Google identity? Your Google identity reflects what appears in the search engine results page when someone “Googles” your name. When was the last time you checked your search results of, well, you?
On a recent show, Mindy Weinstein of Market MindShift joined us to provide tips to ensure we are found on Google when someone is searching us. Three of her main points include:
- Remain active on social media. According to Mindy, Google — and other search engines — will often index and show social media profile pages in their results. Make sure your personal information is current and that you remain active on social media platforms, such as Facebook, Google+, YouTube, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- If you have a website, whether business or personal, make sure you have a bio or profile page. This tip helps with conversion and search engine optimization. You should have a page on your website that provides your bio, so people can get to know you. The page will naturally be optimized for your name and will have a strong chance of showing up in search results. Be sure to include your name in the title tag and meta description tag too.
- Optimize pictures of you. When you upload a picture of you to your website or as a profile picture for social media, use your name as the filename of the image. For example, if I was to upload my headshot to my website, I would title it “mike-weinstein.jpg.” If possible, also include your name in the “image alt attribute” (if you are using WordPress or another platform, this is easy to do). The alt attribute describes what is in the image, so it would make sense to include your name anyway.
Properly protecting and ensuring your company is found in search engines is as equally important. Mindy has recently released her new eBook, The Beauty of Digital Marketing, as a free resource for those who are navigating the world of Google.
Looking forward to seeing you on the first page of Google.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof