LAS VEGAS (AP) – A teenager accused of plowing a speeding car into a crowded Las Vegas restaurant is being charged with six felonies, including four counts of driving under the influence of drugs that could get him a total of 80 years in prison.
Prosecutors said Thursday that 18-year-old Gage James Lindsey had Xanax and more than three times the legal limit of marijuana in his blood in the April 1 crash at the Egg & I restaurant on Sahara Avenue.
He’s also charged with reckless driving and leaving the scene before witnesses tackled him and held him for police.
At a hearing Thursday, Lindsey stood in handcuffs and stared straight at a judge who refused to reduce his $500,000 bail. She scheduled an evidence hearing for Aug. 22.
Lindsey’s lawyer, Sean Sullivan, calls the wreck a tragic accident.
Police say the teen’s 1993 Lexus sedan entered a turn lane, jumped a median, and landed in oncoming traffic. It was hit by a Mitsubishi sedan and a Ford pickup truck before crashing into the eatery.
Rescuers pulled several people out from underneath the car, which ended up balancing on a patio chair.
The crash seriously hurt 10 people, though none of the injuries were life-threatening.
One victim had a collapsed lung and fractures in his spine, arm and shoulders, while several others had broken bones, according to the police report.
One patron who was dining with her sisters when the crash happened said the motor was still revving when the car came to rest.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life