LAS VEGAS (AP) – A teenager accused of plowing a speeding car into a crowded Las Vegas restaurant is being charged with six felonies, including four counts of driving under the influence of drugs that could get him a total of 80 years in prison.
Prosecutors said Thursday that 18-year-old Gage James Lindsey had Xanax and more than three times the legal limit of marijuana in his blood in the April 1 crash at the Egg & I restaurant on Sahara Avenue.
He’s also charged with reckless driving and leaving the scene before witnesses tackled him and held him for police.
At a hearing Thursday, Lindsey stood in handcuffs and stared straight at a judge who refused to reduce his $500,000 bail. She scheduled an evidence hearing for Aug. 22.
Lindsey’s lawyer, Sean Sullivan, calls the wreck a tragic accident.
Police say the teen’s 1993 Lexus sedan entered a turn lane, jumped a median, and landed in oncoming traffic. It was hit by a Mitsubishi sedan and a Ford pickup truck before crashing into the eatery.
Rescuers pulled several people out from underneath the car, which ended up balancing on a patio chair.
The crash seriously hurt 10 people, though none of the injuries were life-threatening.
One victim had a collapsed lung and fractures in his spine, arm and shoulders, while several others had broken bones, according to the police report.
One patron who was dining with her sisters when the crash happened said the motor was still revving when the car came to rest.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas