KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – Two children found dead along with their mother after an arson fire in the family’s Missouri home appeared to have been stabbed and strangled, and the deaths are being investigated as a possible double-murder suicide, police said Thursday.
Springfield police Lt. Tad Peters said it appears Noah Adams, 4, and Lilly Adams, 2, had been stabbed and strangled. He said fire officials responding to Saturday’s fire were suspicious, and the case quickly became a homicide investigation.
Preliminary autopsy results indicate the children died from injuries unrelated to the fire. An autopsy performed on their mother, Jassez Sager, 27, found she had fire injuries that likely contributed to her death. The final determination of cause of death hasn’t yet been made.
Peters, the criminal investigations section commander, said the investigation remained open, but the possibility that the deaths were a double-murder suicide is “certainly the way the investigation is looking.”
“We don’t have anyone else at this point that we are searching for,” Peters said.
Peters said Sager was a single mother who moved with her children to Springfield a few months ago. He said police didn’t have a history of dealing with the family.
Fire investigators determined the blaze had been intentionally set in the bedroom, but Peters had no addition details about how it was started. Peters said only a portion of the house burned. He said he couldn’t say where in the house the bodies were found.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck