KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – Two children found dead along with their mother after an arson fire in the family’s Missouri home appeared to have been stabbed and strangled, and the deaths are being investigated as a possible double-murder suicide, police said Thursday.
Springfield police Lt. Tad Peters said it appears Noah Adams, 4, and Lilly Adams, 2, had been stabbed and strangled. He said fire officials responding to Saturday’s fire were suspicious, and the case quickly became a homicide investigation.
Preliminary autopsy results indicate the children died from injuries unrelated to the fire. An autopsy performed on their mother, Jassez Sager, 27, found she had fire injuries that likely contributed to her death. The final determination of cause of death hasn’t yet been made.
Peters, the criminal investigations section commander, said the investigation remained open, but the possibility that the deaths were a double-murder suicide is “certainly the way the investigation is looking.”
“We don’t have anyone else at this point that we are searching for,” Peters said.
Peters said Sager was a single mother who moved with her children to Springfield a few months ago. He said police didn’t have a history of dealing with the family.
Fire investigators determined the blaze had been intentionally set in the bedroom, but Peters had no addition details about how it was started. Peters said only a portion of the house burned. He said he couldn’t say where in the house the bodies were found.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development