TRENTON, N.J. (AP) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says federal flood insurance claims from Superstorm Sandy are being paid too slowly.
Christie stepped up criticism of the federal program on Townsquare Media’s “Ask the Governor” program Wednesday.
The Republican governor says he complained to President Barack Obama over the weekend that “the performance of the national flood insurance program is unacceptable, that it’s awful.”
Christie says private insurers have been more responsive, settling more than 90 percent of claims. He also reports most of the debris left on land at the Jersey Shore after the October storm is gone.
Christie has been criticized for hiring a Florida debris removal firm without putting the $100 million contract to bid.
Obama last month signed a $9.7 billion bill to replenish the National Flood Insurance Program, which has received more than 100,000 Sandy claims.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona