TRENTON, N.J. (AP) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says federal flood insurance claims from Superstorm Sandy are being paid too slowly.
Christie stepped up criticism of the federal program on Townsquare Media’s “Ask the Governor” program Wednesday.
The Republican governor says he complained to President Barack Obama over the weekend that “the performance of the national flood insurance program is unacceptable, that it’s awful.”
Christie says private insurers have been more responsive, settling more than 90 percent of claims. He also reports most of the debris left on land at the Jersey Shore after the October storm is gone.
Christie has been criticized for hiring a Florida debris removal firm without putting the $100 million contract to bid.
Obama last month signed a $9.7 billion bill to replenish the National Flood Insurance Program, which has received more than 100,000 Sandy claims.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier