TRENTON, N.J. (AP) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says federal flood insurance claims from Superstorm Sandy are being paid too slowly.
Christie stepped up criticism of the federal program on Townsquare Media’s “Ask the Governor” program Wednesday.
The Republican governor says he complained to President Barack Obama over the weekend that “the performance of the national flood insurance program is unacceptable, that it’s awful.”
Christie says private insurers have been more responsive, settling more than 90 percent of claims. He also reports most of the debris left on land at the Jersey Shore after the October storm is gone.
Christie has been criticized for hiring a Florida debris removal firm without putting the $100 million contract to bid.
Obama last month signed a $9.7 billion bill to replenish the National Flood Insurance Program, which has received more than 100,000 Sandy claims.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food