(AP) – “I am happy there is a new leader, but I am even happier there is a pope who comes from the Third World,” parish priest Ariel Lubi said after hearing Mass at Manila’s church called the Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
Like Lubi, many Filipinos in Asia’s most populous Catholic nation were elated at the choice of an Argentinian pontiff.
“Now he is representing the countries of the Southern Hemisphere,” said Lubi, as his voice cracked with emotion. “This is where Christianity is booming.”
Romy Villanueva, a 52-year-old engineer who attended the early Thursday Mass in the half full church in a working class neighborhood, said he was impressed with the new pope’s humility.
“Unlike other popes who were up there on a pedestal, this pope asked for people to bless him, and not him blessing people,” he said. “What he wants to do is for the church to go down to the people.”
“For me, now it’s better there’s someone who will lead the church. Before, you didn’t know where the Roman Catholic Church was heading,” added Nora Esponera, a 63-year-old cook.
_Hrvoje Hranjski – Twitter
“Pope Live” follows the choice of the new pope as seen by journalists from The Associated Press around the world. It will be updated throughout the day with breaking news and other items of interest. Follow AP reporters on Twitter where available.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas