(AP) – “I am happy there is a new leader, but I am even happier there is a pope who comes from the Third World,” parish priest Ariel Lubi said after hearing Mass at Manila’s church called the Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
Like Lubi, many Filipinos in Asia’s most populous Catholic nation were elated at the choice of an Argentinian pontiff.
“Now he is representing the countries of the Southern Hemisphere,” said Lubi, as his voice cracked with emotion. “This is where Christianity is booming.”
Romy Villanueva, a 52-year-old engineer who attended the early Thursday Mass in the half full church in a working class neighborhood, said he was impressed with the new pope’s humility.
“Unlike other popes who were up there on a pedestal, this pope asked for people to bless him, and not him blessing people,” he said. “What he wants to do is for the church to go down to the people.”
“For me, now it’s better there’s someone who will lead the church. Before, you didn’t know where the Roman Catholic Church was heading,” added Nora Esponera, a 63-year-old cook.
_Hrvoje Hranjski – Twitter
“Pope Live” follows the choice of the new pope as seen by journalists from The Associated Press around the world. It will be updated throughout the day with breaking news and other items of interest. Follow AP reporters on Twitter where available.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon