(AP) – “I am happy there is a new leader, but I am even happier there is a pope who comes from the Third World,” parish priest Ariel Lubi said after hearing Mass at Manila’s church called the Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
Like Lubi, many Filipinos in Asia’s most populous Catholic nation were elated at the choice of an Argentinian pontiff.
“Now he is representing the countries of the Southern Hemisphere,” said Lubi, as his voice cracked with emotion. “This is where Christianity is booming.”
Romy Villanueva, a 52-year-old engineer who attended the early Thursday Mass in the half full church in a working class neighborhood, said he was impressed with the new pope’s humility.
“Unlike other popes who were up there on a pedestal, this pope asked for people to bless him, and not him blessing people,” he said. “What he wants to do is for the church to go down to the people.”
“For me, now it’s better there’s someone who will lead the church. Before, you didn’t know where the Roman Catholic Church was heading,” added Nora Esponera, a 63-year-old cook.
_Hrvoje Hranjski – Twitter
“Pope Live” follows the choice of the new pope as seen by journalists from The Associated Press around the world. It will be updated throughout the day with breaking news and other items of interest. Follow AP reporters on Twitter where available.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona