CLARKSDALE, Miss. (AP) – A Mississippi judge has allowed prosecutors to proceed with their case against a man charged in the death of mayoral candidate Marco McMillian.
The Press Register reports (
http://bit.ly/1b3lOzf) that Circuit Court Judge Charles Webster heard details of the investigation during a preliminary hearing Friday for Lawrence Reed, accused of killing McMillian.
Sheriff’s office investigator Marene Jones said phone records indicate McMillian and Reed knew each other before the Clarksville candidate’s nude, battered body was found Feb. 27 near a Mississippi River levee.
Jones said Reed told investigators that McMillian invited him to a party before driving him on a back road, stopping his vehicle and watching pornography on his phone.
Reed is accused of strangling McMillian before dumping his body on the levee, dousing it with gasoline and setting it on fire.
Information from: The Clarksdale Press Register.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever