PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) – Two men were taken to a hospital when their sailboat ran aground on a north Florida beach after spending days drifting without power.
Officials say 86-year-old Francis Saunders and 71-year-old Jerry Willis were heading to Grand Bahama Island when their boat lost power. It drifted for seven days before coming ashore on Ponte Vedra Beach late Monday.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Joy Hill says Saunders’ dog, Alfy, was also aboard and is being taken care of by the St. Johns County Animal Control.
The Florida Times-Union (
http://bit.ly/YXgyVL) reports the men left Port St. Lucie in a 32-foot sailboat built in 1976. They told rescuers they lost their bearings, then lost power and began to drift.
Authorities say the men appeared tired and confused when they came off the boat.
Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments