PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) – Two men were taken to a hospital when their sailboat ran aground on a north Florida beach after spending days drifting without power.
Officials say 86-year-old Francis Saunders and 71-year-old Jerry Willis were heading to Grand Bahama Island when their boat lost power. It drifted for seven days before coming ashore on Ponte Vedra Beach late Monday.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Joy Hill says Saunders’ dog, Alfy, was also aboard and is being taken care of by the St. Johns County Animal Control.
The Florida Times-Union (
http://bit.ly/YXgyVL) reports the men left Port St. Lucie in a 32-foot sailboat built in 1976. They told rescuers they lost their bearings, then lost power and began to drift.
Authorities say the men appeared tired and confused when they came off the boat.
Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl