PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) – Two men were taken to a hospital when their sailboat ran aground on a north Florida beach after spending days drifting without power.
Officials say 86-year-old Francis Saunders and 71-year-old Jerry Willis were heading to Grand Bahama Island when their boat lost power. It drifted for seven days before coming ashore on Ponte Vedra Beach late Monday.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Joy Hill says Saunders’ dog, Alfy, was also aboard and is being taken care of by the St. Johns County Animal Control.
The Florida Times-Union (
http://bit.ly/YXgyVL) reports the men left Port St. Lucie in a 32-foot sailboat built in 1976. They told rescuers they lost their bearings, then lost power and began to drift.
Authorities say the men appeared tired and confused when they came off the boat.
Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona