WASHINGTON (AP) – Philanthropist David Rubenstein is giving $10 million to George Washington’s Mount Vernon estate in northern Virginia to build a library for the president’s books and papers.
Mount Vernon officials say the gift announced Sunday surpasses their fundraising goal of $100 million for the project. It also marks what would have been Washington’s 281st birthday Friday.
The National Library for the Study of George Washington is scheduled to open Sept. 27. It will be a center for scholarly research and leadership training for government, military, nonprofit and corporate officials, as well as students and educators.
Rubenstein says Washington’s character and qualities provide a timeless example of leadership.
The library’s largest meeting hall will be named for Rubenstein. His gift also funds a $4 million endowment for rare books and manuscripts.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona