DALLAS (AP) – About 100 people have been rescued without injury by firefighters after a monorail at the Dallas Zoo stopped operating.
Dallas Fire Rescue spokesman Jason Evans says as many as five extension ladders at a time were used to remove the passengers Saturday.
Local television stations reported the train was between 15 and 20 feet off the ground when it stopped.
Evans says firefighters responded to a 911 call about 3:30 p.m. after an unspecified malfunction caused the train to stop moving.
He says the 30-minute rescue was made easier because firefighters had easy access to the passengers.
The zoo’s website says the monorail is the only one in the U.S. that can “climb and turn, taking guests on a one-mile tour through bush, desert, forest, woodland, river and mountain environments.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development