DALLAS (AP) – About 100 people have been rescued without injury by firefighters after a monorail at the Dallas Zoo stopped operating.
Dallas Fire Rescue spokesman Jason Evans says as many as five extension ladders at a time were used to remove the passengers Saturday.
Local television stations reported the train was between 15 and 20 feet off the ground when it stopped.
Evans says firefighters responded to a 911 call about 3:30 p.m. after an unspecified malfunction caused the train to stop moving.
He says the 30-minute rescue was made easier because firefighters had easy access to the passengers.
The zoo’s website says the monorail is the only one in the U.S. that can “climb and turn, taking guests on a one-mile tour through bush, desert, forest, woodland, river and mountain environments.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick