DALLAS (AP) – About 100 people have been rescued without injury by firefighters after a monorail at the Dallas Zoo stopped operating.
Dallas Fire Rescue spokesman Jason Evans says as many as five extension ladders at a time were used to remove the passengers Saturday.
Local television stations reported the train was between 15 and 20 feet off the ground when it stopped.
Evans says firefighters responded to a 911 call about 3:30 p.m. after an unspecified malfunction caused the train to stop moving.
He says the 30-minute rescue was made easier because firefighters had easy access to the passengers.
The zoo’s website says the monorail is the only one in the U.S. that can “climb and turn, taking guests on a one-mile tour through bush, desert, forest, woodland, river and mountain environments.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck