CARMEL, Calif. (AP) – Two scuba divers have died while diving off the coast of California’s Monterey County, authorities said.
Emergency crews were sent to Point Lobos State Natural Reserve around 2:45 p.m. Friday where they found lifeguards performing CPR on one of the divers, said state Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokesman Daniel Berlant.
Lifeguards and firefighters used a boat to get to second diver floating just offshore.
“At that point, we got in a boat with State Parks lifeguards and located the second victim floating in the water about 50 feet from the rocks,” Capt. Carlos Aguilera of the Carmel Highlands Fire Department told The Monterey County Herald.
CPR was also performed on that person, but both divers were pronounced dead after being taken to a hospital, officials said.
The names, additional details about the victims and what killed them have not been released, but authorities said one was a male and one was a female.
The reserve where the divers died is a popular diving area about four miles south of Carmel, or about 90 miles south of San Francisco.
The offshore area forms one of the richest underwater habitats in the world, with wildlife that includes seals, sea lions, sea otters and migrating gray whales, according to the state Parks and Recreation Department website, the agency that operates the reserve.
Proof of certification is required, and diving is permitted only at two coves within the park, including Whalers Cove, the area where the two stricken divers were found, the website said.
Parks officials did not immediately return calls to The Associated Press seeking details of the incident.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again