LAS VEGAS (AP) – A gun battle and car explosion on the Las Vegas Strip on Thursday is just the latest in a series of violent episodes that have raised concerns among tourism officials that the city’s image as “Disneyland for adults” is under threat.
Crime is falling on the main tourist corridor, but browsing through news reports from the past months, you might think the statistics were deceiving. Here’s a look at some of the recent crimes and court cases that have grabbed headlines:
_ Dec. 21, 2012: A casino card dealer is accused of using razor blades to slash a co-worker’s face at a blackjack table at the Bellagio casino-resort.
_Jan. 1, 2013: A 20-year-old man is accused of firing a gunshot into the floor of a crowded Circus Circus during a New Year’s Eve argument.
_Jan. 1, 2013: A sergeant in Saudi Arabia’s air force is accused of pulling a 13 year-old boy into a hotel room at Circus Circus and sexually assaulted him.
_Feb. 11, 2013: A University of California, Berkeley, law student pleads not guilty in what prosecutors allege was the torture death and beheading of an exotic bird at a resort.
_Feb. 6, 2013: An overnight shooting in a parking structure outside a movie theater left two teens with major injuries and also hurt a third teen.
_ Feb. 14, 2013: A former high school football coach and teacher from Florida was sentenced to three months in jail after being convicted for accidentally killing a Utah man with a single punch at a casino.
_ Feb. 16, 2013: Two men were booked on suspicion of attempted murder after allegedly stabbing a guest in the elevator of The Hotel at Mandalay Bay on the Las Vegas Strip.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night