LAS VEGAS (AP) – A gun battle and car explosion on the Las Vegas Strip on Thursday is just the latest in a series of violent episodes that have raised concerns among tourism officials that the city’s image as “Disneyland for adults” is under threat.
Crime is falling on the main tourist corridor, but browsing through news reports from the past months, you might think the statistics were deceiving. Here’s a look at some of the recent crimes and court cases that have grabbed headlines:
_ Dec. 21, 2012: A casino card dealer is accused of using razor blades to slash a co-worker’s face at a blackjack table at the Bellagio casino-resort.
_Jan. 1, 2013: A 20-year-old man is accused of firing a gunshot into the floor of a crowded Circus Circus during a New Year’s Eve argument.
_Jan. 1, 2013: A sergeant in Saudi Arabia’s air force is accused of pulling a 13 year-old boy into a hotel room at Circus Circus and sexually assaulted him.
_Feb. 11, 2013: A University of California, Berkeley, law student pleads not guilty in what prosecutors allege was the torture death and beheading of an exotic bird at a resort.
_Feb. 6, 2013: An overnight shooting in a parking structure outside a movie theater left two teens with major injuries and also hurt a third teen.
_ Feb. 14, 2013: A former high school football coach and teacher from Florida was sentenced to three months in jail after being convicted for accidentally killing a Utah man with a single punch at a casino.
_ Feb. 16, 2013: Two men were booked on suspicion of attempted murder after allegedly stabbing a guest in the elevator of The Hotel at Mandalay Bay on the Las Vegas Strip.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy