BOSTON (AP) – A federal judge has agreed to grant bail to a Massachusetts man facing an attempted murder charge in Scotland for allegedly poisoning another student’s wine.
A judge in Boston on Monday agreed to release 21-year-old Alexander Hilton of Princeton, Mass., on $100,000 bail. A hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.
Other bail conditions are that Hilton stay with his parents, not leave Massachusetts, refrain from alcohol use, and continue mental health treatment.
Hilton is fighting extradition to Scotland.
Scottish authorities say Hilton was studying at the University of St. Andrews in Fife in March 2011 when he spiked another American’s wine with methanol, also called wood alcohol. Authorities say the other student suffered severe nausea and headaches, temporarily lost vision and would have died had he not gone to the hospital.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development