BOSTON (AP) – A federal judge has agreed to grant bail to a Massachusetts man facing an attempted murder charge in Scotland for allegedly poisoning another student’s wine.
A judge in Boston on Monday agreed to release 21-year-old Alexander Hilton of Princeton, Mass., on $100,000 bail. A hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.
Other bail conditions are that Hilton stay with his parents, not leave Massachusetts, refrain from alcohol use, and continue mental health treatment.
Hilton is fighting extradition to Scotland.
Scottish authorities say Hilton was studying at the University of St. Andrews in Fife in March 2011 when he spiked another American’s wine with methanol, also called wood alcohol. Authorities say the other student suffered severe nausea and headaches, temporarily lost vision and would have died had he not gone to the hospital.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier