NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – A couple who fled Germany in order to home-school their children is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to grant them asylum.
Uwe (OO-vuh) and Hannelore Romeike (roh-MEYE-kee) moved to Morristown, Tenn., in 2008 after facing escalating fines and threats for refusing to send their children to a state-approved school, as required by German law.
The Romeikes claim they are being persecuted because they want to raise their children in accordance with their Christian beliefs.
The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in May rejected that claim. The court found that U.S. law does not grant asylum to every victim of unfair treatment.
The couple filed an appeal Thursday. They argue that Germany’s law violates international human rights standards because it does not allow parents to control their children’s education.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.