OBERLIN, Ohio (AP) – Freezing temperatures hampered firefighters as a wind-whipped blaze ripped through one of the Midwest’s biggest greenhouse operations, destroying up to two dozen greenhouses.
Green Circle Growers said Wednesday the fire engulfed a production barn and 5 acres of its 105 acres of greenhouse space.
There were no reports of injuries in the fire Tuesday night and early Wednesday near Oberlin, 30 miles southwest of Cleveland.
No cause was immediately determined.
Chief Brian Jackson of the Camden Township Fire Department told WJW-TV that 20 to 25 greenhouses were destroyed. The greenhouses are heated by a boiler fueled by wood chips.
Firefighters were hindered by 20-degree temperatures and 30 mph winds. Florence Township Assistant Fire Chief Jim Carrico said tanker truck valves froze.
The greenhouse grows pansies, orchids and bonsai trees.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever