OBERLIN, Ohio (AP) – Freezing temperatures hampered firefighters as a wind-whipped blaze ripped through one of the Midwest’s biggest greenhouse operations, destroying up to two dozen greenhouses.
Green Circle Growers said Wednesday the fire engulfed a production barn and 5 acres of its 105 acres of greenhouse space.
There were no reports of injuries in the fire Tuesday night and early Wednesday near Oberlin, 30 miles southwest of Cleveland.
No cause was immediately determined.
Chief Brian Jackson of the Camden Township Fire Department told WJW-TV that 20 to 25 greenhouses were destroyed. The greenhouses are heated by a boiler fueled by wood chips.
Firefighters were hindered by 20-degree temperatures and 30 mph winds. Florence Township Assistant Fire Chief Jim Carrico said tanker truck valves froze.
The greenhouse grows pansies, orchids and bonsai trees.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development