RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. (AP) – Fists of fury flew in ritzy surroundings in the Mojave Desert this weekend. The latest big fight in Las Vegas? Nope. A homeowners’ association meeting at a Palm Springs-area country club.
The meeting at the seemingly genteel Springs Country Club, a private golf and tennis club and gated community in Rancho Mirage, turned into an all-out brawl that hospitalized two people when members threw punches _ and even chairs _ over a board of directors election.
“Some people were upset that a certain person won and began yelling at him and pushing him,” Riverside County Sheriff’s Deputy Myling Bourdeau told the Desert Sun newspaper on Tuesday (
The Sunday afternoon meeting began with just yelling, but then led to pushing, then tackling, then punching and chair-throwing, Bourdeau said.
A club security guard pulled his gun from his holster, but kept it at its side, and after getting several emergency calls deputies arrived to help make peace.
Two people were taken to Eisenhower Medical Center, one who complained of pain and another who had a seizure during the melee.
There were no reports of any arrests, and it was not immediately clear if anyone would be charged or cited.
More than a dozen members confirmed to the Desert Sun that the rumble had happened, but none would give details on exactly what happened.
“The less we talk about it, the more it is forgotten,” resident Denver Ginsey said.
According to its website, the club, founded in 1975, is spread over 385 acres of land and includes homes, an 18-hole golf course, a tennis center with 11 courts, and 46 pools and spas.
Information from: The Desert Sun,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths