RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. (AP) – Fists of fury flew in ritzy surroundings in the Mojave Desert this weekend. The latest big fight in Las Vegas? Nope. A homeowners’ association meeting at a Palm Springs-area country club.
The meeting at the seemingly genteel Springs Country Club, a private golf and tennis club and gated community in Rancho Mirage, turned into an all-out brawl that hospitalized two people when members threw punches _ and even chairs _ over a board of directors election.
“Some people were upset that a certain person won and began yelling at him and pushing him,” Riverside County Sheriff’s Deputy Myling Bourdeau told the Desert Sun newspaper on Tuesday (
The Sunday afternoon meeting began with just yelling, but then led to pushing, then tackling, then punching and chair-throwing, Bourdeau said.
A club security guard pulled his gun from his holster, but kept it at its side, and after getting several emergency calls deputies arrived to help make peace.
Two people were taken to Eisenhower Medical Center, one who complained of pain and another who had a seizure during the melee.
There were no reports of any arrests, and it was not immediately clear if anyone would be charged or cited.
More than a dozen members confirmed to the Desert Sun that the rumble had happened, but none would give details on exactly what happened.
“The less we talk about it, the more it is forgotten,” resident Denver Ginsey said.
According to its website, the club, founded in 1975, is spread over 385 acres of land and includes homes, an 18-hole golf course, a tennis center with 11 courts, and 46 pools and spas.
Information from: The Desert Sun,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match