RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. (AP) – Fists of fury flew in ritzy surroundings in the Mojave Desert this weekend. The latest big fight in Las Vegas? Nope. A homeowners’ association meeting at a Palm Springs-area country club.
The meeting at the seemingly genteel Springs Country Club, a private golf and tennis club and gated community in Rancho Mirage, turned into an all-out brawl that hospitalized two people when members threw punches _ and even chairs _ over a board of directors election.
“Some people were upset that a certain person won and began yelling at him and pushing him,” Riverside County Sheriff’s Deputy Myling Bourdeau told the Desert Sun newspaper on Tuesday (
The Sunday afternoon meeting began with just yelling, but then led to pushing, then tackling, then punching and chair-throwing, Bourdeau said.
A club security guard pulled his gun from his holster, but kept it at its side, and after getting several emergency calls deputies arrived to help make peace.
Two people were taken to Eisenhower Medical Center, one who complained of pain and another who had a seizure during the melee.
There were no reports of any arrests, and it was not immediately clear if anyone would be charged or cited.
More than a dozen members confirmed to the Desert Sun that the rumble had happened, but none would give details on exactly what happened.
“The less we talk about it, the more it is forgotten,” resident Denver Ginsey said.
According to its website, the club, founded in 1975, is spread over 385 acres of land and includes homes, an 18-hole golf course, a tennis center with 11 courts, and 46 pools and spas.
Information from: The Desert Sun,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick