BRYAN, Texas (AP) – Doctors are optimistic that two Texas firefighters hospitalized Sunday will recover from serious burns suffered in a blaze that killed two colleagues, their chief said.
Bryan Fire Chief Randy McGregor thanked everyone for their prayers for the families of the firefighters who died and for the men who were injured in the blaze that broke out Friday night at an unoccupied Knights of Columbus Hall.
Mourners left bouquets of flowers at the burned-out structure. A prayer service was planned Sunday night at Bryan High School.
The investigation into what caused the overnight fire that on Saturday claimed the lives of Lt. Eric Wallace, 36, and Lt. Gregory Pickard, 54, could take months, according to McGregor. He declined to speculate on what sparked the fire.
“State fire marshal’s office is doing the investigation,” said Mary Lynne Stratta, a city spokeswoman. “Could take up to six months for their report and ruling to come out.”
Firefighters Ricky Mantey Jr., 30, and Mitchel Moran, 21, were in serious but stable condition Sunday at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Stratta said. McGregor did not release specifics on their injuries.
Funeral arrangements are pending for Pickard. Wallace’s funeral will be Thursday morning at First Baptist Church in Bryan, about 90 miles northwest of Houston.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck