BRYAN, Texas (AP) – Doctors are optimistic that two Texas firefighters hospitalized Sunday will recover from serious burns suffered in a blaze that killed two colleagues, their chief said.
Bryan Fire Chief Randy McGregor thanked everyone for their prayers for the families of the firefighters who died and for the men who were injured in the blaze that broke out Friday night at an unoccupied Knights of Columbus Hall.
Mourners left bouquets of flowers at the burned-out structure. A prayer service was planned Sunday night at Bryan High School.
The investigation into what caused the overnight fire that on Saturday claimed the lives of Lt. Eric Wallace, 36, and Lt. Gregory Pickard, 54, could take months, according to McGregor. He declined to speculate on what sparked the fire.
“State fire marshal’s office is doing the investigation,” said Mary Lynne Stratta, a city spokeswoman. “Could take up to six months for their report and ruling to come out.”
Firefighters Ricky Mantey Jr., 30, and Mitchel Moran, 21, were in serious but stable condition Sunday at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Stratta said. McGregor did not release specifics on their injuries.
Funeral arrangements are pending for Pickard. Wallace’s funeral will be Thursday morning at First Baptist Church in Bryan, about 90 miles northwest of Houston.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again