SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) – A California judge has refused to dismiss a murder charge against a man accused of strangling his ex-wife and tossing her overboard during a Mediterranean cruise.
The Orange County judge ruled Monday that California has the right to proceed against 55-year-old Lonnie Kocontes. His attorneys say they’ll appeal.
Kocontes and Micki Kanesaki were divorced but lived together on and off in Mission Viejo, Calif. They were on a cruise in 2006 when she went overboard. Her body washed ashore in Italy the next day.
An investigation began in 2008 when Kocontes began transferring more than $1 million from Kaneski’s bank accounts.
Kocontes, a Florida resident, was arrested in February. He has pleaded not guilty to killing his ex-wife for financial gain.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain