LOS ANGELES (AP) – Southern Californians from Santa Barbara to San Diego have reported seeing a fireball that forecasters said was most likely a meteor streaking across the sky.
The National Weather Service said the sightings that flowed in about 8 p.m. Wednesday were most likely associated with the South Taurids (TOHR-ids) meteor shower that has been especially active in early November. Astronomers said the Taurids don’t bring big numbers of visible meteors but a high percentage of extremely bright ones that look like fireballs.
The American Meteor Society received more than 150 reports from witnesses. The bright flash was visible primarily from Southern California, but people in Arizona, Nevada and Utah also reported seeing the light show, the group said.
The last time a fireball created such as buzz was on Oct. 30 when some 360 people reported seeing a streak over the Pacific Northwest and southwestern Canada.
Twitter lit up with reports of Wednesday’s sightings, though few if any were able to capture the streak on photo or video.
Comedian Eli Braden tweeted that he “just saw an absolutely INSANE meteor in the sky above Glendale, CA … Either that or the alien invasion has begun.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon