PHILADELPHIA (AP) – A day care worker charged with the abduction and rape of a 5-year-old girl who was found barely clothed and shivering in a chilly playground has been indicted by a grand jury.
Nineteen-year-old Christina Regusters was the only person indicted by the grand jury on Monday in the Jan. 14 kidnapping. She is due in court for her formal arraignment on May 20.
Regusters worked at an after-school care program attended by the girl and took the girl out of her classroom by posing as her mother, police said. The woman had said she was taking the girl out to breakfast, according to school officials, who said school policies weren’t followed in releasing the girl.
Investigators believe Regusters and the girl then walked a few blocks to a home, where a man was waiting. The girl was blindfolded, was told to remove her clothes and put on an adult-size black T-shirt and was ordered to hide under a bed, authorities said. The girl was sexually assaulted while she was in the home, police said.
The girl apparently was dumped about 18 hours later at a park about a mile from her school, just outside the city, and was found by a passer-by, partially clothed and shivering under playground equipment. When the girl was found, police said, she told her rescuer, “I’ve been stolen.”
Regusters is charged with 11 counts including kidnapping, rape and false imprisonment. She was threatened and assaulted in the Philadelphia prison system and has been moved to a Northampton County facility, where she’s being held on $4 million bail. She wasn’t in court for her status hearing Monday.
Defense attorney W. Fred Harrison Jr. said Regusters maintains her innocence. He said other people were involved in the abduction.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon