WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) – An alumnus who donated $25 million to the College of the Holy Cross _ the single largest gift in school history _ for a performing arts center said he did it because he wants to bring more “fun” to campus.
“I started to think about what I could leave behind,” Cornelius Prior Jr. said Wednesday during an announcement at the Roman Catholic college. He decided to “put it in something that was fun for me and for you.”
Prior, who is 79 and a 1956 graduate with a degree in English, said there wasn’t much in the way of arts on campus back then, something that has since changed. In fact, he was regaled after the announcement by members of the college’s choir wearing T-shirts reading “Thank you for making the arts a Prior-ity.”
“The arts give you that joyous feeling … It elevates you,” Prior said, according to the Telegram & Gazette (
http://bit.ly/Yt8cVs). “At the same time you’re having fun, you’re experiencing another dimension.”
Holy Cross President the Rev. Philip Boroughs noted that the gift came at the start of Lent.
“Today, we begin a new springtime for the arts at the College of the Holy Cross, because of Neil Prior, an alumnus, a philanthropist and inspiring man who wants us to be all we can be,” Boroughs said.
Prior, who started his career as a lawyer with Sullivan & Cromwell in New York, lives in the Virgin Islands and is chairman of the board of Atlantic Tele-Network Inc., a Beverly-based telecommunications services company. He is a former U.S. Navy officer and Fulbright scholar and is a graduate of Harvard Law School.
Information from: Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, Mass.),
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food