WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) – An alumnus who donated $25 million to the College of the Holy Cross _ the single largest gift in school history _ for a performing arts center said he did it because he wants to bring more “fun” to campus.
“I started to think about what I could leave behind,” Cornelius Prior Jr. said Wednesday during an announcement at the Roman Catholic college. He decided to “put it in something that was fun for me and for you.”
Prior, who is 79 and a 1956 graduate with a degree in English, said there wasn’t much in the way of arts on campus back then, something that has since changed. In fact, he was regaled after the announcement by members of the college’s choir wearing T-shirts reading “Thank you for making the arts a Prior-ity.”
“The arts give you that joyous feeling … It elevates you,” Prior said, according to the Telegram & Gazette (
http://bit.ly/Yt8cVs). “At the same time you’re having fun, you’re experiencing another dimension.”
Holy Cross President the Rev. Philip Boroughs noted that the gift came at the start of Lent.
“Today, we begin a new springtime for the arts at the College of the Holy Cross, because of Neil Prior, an alumnus, a philanthropist and inspiring man who wants us to be all we can be,” Boroughs said.
Prior, who started his career as a lawyer with Sullivan & Cromwell in New York, lives in the Virgin Islands and is chairman of the board of Atlantic Tele-Network Inc., a Beverly-based telecommunications services company. He is a former U.S. Navy officer and Fulbright scholar and is a graduate of Harvard Law School.
Information from: Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, Mass.),
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development