COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) – The mother of a woman shot outside a South Carolina courthouse said her daughter was ambushed by a former boyfriend who treated her poorly throughout their relationship and became furious because he would have to pay child support.
Curtis Gorny, who is charged with attempted murder, wasn’t at Wednesday’s hearing where he was ordered to start paying for his new daughter. Instead, he waited outside and fired on 21-year-old Olivia Weaver and her stepfather in a parking area of the Chesterfield County courthouse, said Weaver’s mother, Jennifer Smith.
“He just ambushed her. It’s by the grace of God that she’s still alive,” said Smith by telephone from her home in Cheraw where she was taking care of the 6-month-old girl at the center of the dispute.
Weaver was shot in the face and stomach. She is in intensive care at a Florence hospital, but is expected to survive. Her stepfather was shot in the arm and was released from the hospital Wednesday, Smith said.
Gorny, 57, will remain in jail after deciding Thursday to wait until all charges against him are filed before he has a bond hearing. He faces two counts of attempted murder, with more charges expected after investigators determine how many police officers he fired at during a 12-mile chase after the shooting, Chesterfield County Sheriff’s Lt. Briana Davis said.
Davis did not know if Gorny, who arrived in court with a sling around his arm from injuries suffered when his truck crashed, has a lawyer. A phone listing for Gorny couldn’t be found.
Smith said she didn’t like when Gorny started dating her daughter. The 36-year difference in their ages was difficult enough, but Smith couldn’t stand the way Gorny treated Weaver.
“It was kind of like she was sub-human, kind of like she was nobody important,” Smith said.
Authorities said Gorny was violent toward Weaver before. He was charged with criminal domestic violence last year when he shoved Weaver while the two were discussing what to do about their new baby, deputies said. That charge is pending.
Weaver decided to leave Gorny while she was pregnant when he pushed her off a ladder as she climbed down from their loft bedroom, Smith said.
But her husband told her they had no warning Gorny was going to attack them Wednesday. They didn’t see him before coming into the courthouse, and didn’t know he was there until his pickup truck came around a corner, Smith said.
After the shooting, authorities said Gorny led police on a 12-mile chase, firing at officers before his tires were shredded and his truck ran into a ditch. Gorny came out of his truck swinging at officers before he was handcuffed, deputies said.
Davis said Chesterfield County deputies had dealt with Gorny before on minor matters, but nothing violent.
Smith said Gorny had a temper, but she was stunned when she was called Wednesday and told what happened at the courthouse.
“I thought he’d do something like get in a fistfight or throw rocks,” Smith said. “I never saw him getting in a shootout.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food