ODANAH, Wis. (AP) – Wisconsin’s Republican governor, Scott Walker, has rolled over Democrats who oppose his conservative economic plan for the state and he has survived a recall attempt. But a small band of American Indians may prove to be a tougher obstacle.
Walker and the Republican-controlled Legislature are preparing to clear the way for a huge new iron mine in the state’s northwestern woods. Many residents of the region are eager for the hundreds of jobs the project could bring.
But the Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa’s reservation lies just north of the mine site. Tribal members fear that mine waste will poison the watershed.
The tribe could tie up the project with litigation. Republican lawmakers say they want to negotiate, but believe they would be on sound footing in court.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development