LAKE GROVE, N.Y. (AP) – A large New York mall has reopened after a leaking roof spurred worries of a possible roof collapse.
No one was injured when the Smith Haven Mall in Lake Grove was evacuated Monday. Smithtown Building Department Director John Bongino (bahn-JEE’-noh) says inspectors and fire marshals checked for damage Tuesday.
A mall spokeswoman says some stores will remain closed until further notice. But most of the mall, one of the biggest on New York’s Long Island, was open as of 12:45 p.m.
Leaks were reported in about a dozen stores after a heavy rain followed a weekend blizzard.
There have been several roof collapses in the region, including at a vacant store in Patchogue (PACH’-awg), a bowling alley and a home.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy