LAKE GROVE, N.Y. (AP) – A large New York mall has reopened after a leaking roof spurred worries of a possible roof collapse.
No one was injured when the Smith Haven Mall in Lake Grove was evacuated Monday. Smithtown Building Department Director John Bongino (bahn-JEE’-noh) says inspectors and fire marshals checked for damage Tuesday.
A mall spokeswoman says some stores will remain closed until further notice. But most of the mall, one of the biggest on New York’s Long Island, was open as of 12:45 p.m.
Leaks were reported in about a dozen stores after a heavy rain followed a weekend blizzard.
There have been several roof collapses in the region, including at a vacant store in Patchogue (PACH’-awg), a bowling alley and a home.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier