NEW YORK (AP) – The lone U.S. adoption agency accredited in Kyrgyzstan is shutting down due to financial troubles, a new setback for about 15 American families battling since 2008 to complete adoptions there.
The North Carolina-based agency, Christian World Adoption, said an array of factors in Kyrgyzstan and elsewhere abroad had boosted its costs and cut its income to the point where it would file for bankruptcy.
Another U.S. adoption agency also is closing, blaming Russia’s recently imposed ban on adoptions by Americans. Illinois-based Adoption ARK said its program in Russia had provided more than half of its income.
The two closures highlight the challenges facing many U.S. agencies that specialize in international adoptions. Americans adopted 8,668 foreign children last year, down 62 percent from the peak of 22,884 in 2004.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development