PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Vice President Joe Biden says there’s a real sense of urgency from lawmakers and police about enacting gun control measures.
Biden was joined Monday at Girard (juh-RAHRD’) College by law enforcement officials, U.S. Deputy Attorney General James Cole and Democratic members of Pennsylvania’s congressional delegation.
Biden says ideas like universal background checks for gun purchases have widespread support.
The Obama administration is pushing for new gun control measures in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14.
Proposals include a new ban on military-style weapons, a ban on high-capacity magazines carrying more than 10 rounds of ammunition, and background checks for all gun sales.
Federal lawmakers joining Biden included Reps. Bob Brady, Chaka Fattah and Allyson Schwartz and Sen. Bob Casey.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain