(AP) – Here’s what California taxpayers have paid for lawyers, court-appointed overseers and experts involved in the two major federal court cases over prisoner medical and mental health care between 1997 and 2012:
_Inmates’ attorneys (lead firm, Prison Law Office, Berkeley), medical lawsuit: $8.3 million.
_Inmates’ attorneys (lead firm, Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld, San Francisco), mental health lawsuit: $19 million.
_Court-appointed receiver’s attorneys and experts, medical lawsuit: $7 million.
_Court-appointed special master and experts, mental health lawsuit: $48.4 million.
_Private lawyers hired by the state, medical lawsuit: $14.3 million.
_Private lawyers hired by the state, mental health lawsuit: $714,312.
_Justice Department attorneys representing the state, medical lawsuit: $589,797. (asterisk)
_Justice Department attorneys representing the state, mental health lawsuit: $3.5 million.
Total legal costs for medical and mental health lawsuits: $101.8 million.
Figures for 10 other state and federal class-action lawsuits over the treatment of adult and juvenile inmates, some of them resolved, show the state has paid:
_$83.2 million paid to law firms representing the interests of inmates, including the Prison Law Office and Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld.
_$16.2 million for court-appointed special masters and experts.
_$2.3 million for private lawyers hired by the state.
Total: $101.7 million.
(asterisk)The Department of Justice bills state departments it represents in lawsuits for the cost of the defense.
Sources: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, California Department of Justice, Office of the Receiver.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life