(AP) – Here’s what California taxpayers have paid for lawyers, court-appointed overseers and experts involved in the two major federal court cases over prisoner medical and mental health care between 1997 and 2012:
_Inmates’ attorneys (lead firm, Prison Law Office, Berkeley), medical lawsuit: $8.3 million.
_Inmates’ attorneys (lead firm, Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld, San Francisco), mental health lawsuit: $19 million.
_Court-appointed receiver’s attorneys and experts, medical lawsuit: $7 million.
_Court-appointed special master and experts, mental health lawsuit: $48.4 million.
_Private lawyers hired by the state, medical lawsuit: $14.3 million.
_Private lawyers hired by the state, mental health lawsuit: $714,312.
_Justice Department attorneys representing the state, medical lawsuit: $589,797. (asterisk)
_Justice Department attorneys representing the state, mental health lawsuit: $3.5 million.
Total legal costs for medical and mental health lawsuits: $101.8 million.
Figures for 10 other state and federal class-action lawsuits over the treatment of adult and juvenile inmates, some of them resolved, show the state has paid:
_$83.2 million paid to law firms representing the interests of inmates, including the Prison Law Office and Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld.
_$16.2 million for court-appointed special masters and experts.
_$2.3 million for private lawyers hired by the state.
Total: $101.7 million.
(asterisk)The Department of Justice bills state departments it represents in lawsuits for the cost of the defense.
Sources: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, California Department of Justice, Office of the Receiver.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets