(AP) – Here’s what California taxpayers have paid for lawyers, court-appointed overseers and experts involved in the two major federal court cases over prisoner medical and mental health care between 1997 and 2012:
_Inmates’ attorneys (lead firm, Prison Law Office, Berkeley), medical lawsuit: $8.3 million.
_Inmates’ attorneys (lead firm, Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld, San Francisco), mental health lawsuit: $19 million.
_Court-appointed receiver’s attorneys and experts, medical lawsuit: $7 million.
_Court-appointed special master and experts, mental health lawsuit: $48.4 million.
_Private lawyers hired by the state, medical lawsuit: $14.3 million.
_Private lawyers hired by the state, mental health lawsuit: $714,312.
_Justice Department attorneys representing the state, medical lawsuit: $589,797. (asterisk)
_Justice Department attorneys representing the state, mental health lawsuit: $3.5 million.
Total legal costs for medical and mental health lawsuits: $101.8 million.
Figures for 10 other state and federal class-action lawsuits over the treatment of adult and juvenile inmates, some of them resolved, show the state has paid:
_$83.2 million paid to law firms representing the interests of inmates, including the Prison Law Office and Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld.
_$16.2 million for court-appointed special masters and experts.
_$2.3 million for private lawyers hired by the state.
Total: $101.7 million.
(asterisk)The Department of Justice bills state departments it represents in lawsuits for the cost of the defense.
Sources: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, California Department of Justice, Office of the Receiver.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier