LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) – An 82-year-old Washington state man says he was a little sore but otherwise OK after tackling and helping police catch a felon one-third his age.
Terry Miracle, of Longview, was weeding in his garden Friday when heard a commotion. It was police chasing a burglary suspect identified as 27-year-old Morgan Perry Bluehorse.
As officers chased him through yards and over fences, Miracle could hear them coming closer, The Daily News reported Sunday (
http://is.gd/riJBlV). Miracle told the newspaper that he got into position, remembering his high school football training from 65 years earlier, and the suspect came barreling around the house.
“He was looking back over his shoulder to see where they were, and he turned around the corner of the house and he was coming at me just like the runners used to do when I played football,” Miracle said.
He ran toward the suspect, who halted and stumbled as Miracle launched a “cross-body block.”
“I kicked out my knee, as I always did with a cross-body block, and caught his knee with my knee,” Miracle said. “He went down and so did I.”
The suspect got up and started running again, but the delay gave police time to catch up. An officer slammed into his chest: “It sounded like somebody hit the bass drum, and he went back down this time,” Miracle recalled.
Bluehorse, of Kelso, was booked for investigation of second-degree burglary related to an earlier investigation, third-degree theft, trespassing, resisting arrest, obstructing an officer, malicious mischief and methamphetamine possession. He also had a no-bail Department of Corrections warrant, Hallowell said.
Bluehorse has a long criminal history involving burglary. In 2004, he was sentenced to nine years in prison for burglarizing 14 Longview businesses
Longview Police Sgt. Mike Hallowell joked that it “it took a Miracle” to catch the bad guy.
Information from: The Daily News,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy