LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) – An 82-year-old Washington state man says he was a little sore but otherwise OK after tackling and helping police catch a felon one-third his age.
Terry Miracle, of Longview, was weeding in his garden Friday when heard a commotion. It was police chasing a burglary suspect identified as 27-year-old Morgan Perry Bluehorse.
As officers chased him through yards and over fences, Miracle could hear them coming closer, The Daily News reported Sunday (
http://is.gd/riJBlV). Miracle told the newspaper that he got into position, remembering his high school football training from 65 years earlier, and the suspect came barreling around the house.
“He was looking back over his shoulder to see where they were, and he turned around the corner of the house and he was coming at me just like the runners used to do when I played football,” Miracle said.
He ran toward the suspect, who halted and stumbled as Miracle launched a “cross-body block.”
“I kicked out my knee, as I always did with a cross-body block, and caught his knee with my knee,” Miracle said. “He went down and so did I.”
The suspect got up and started running again, but the delay gave police time to catch up. An officer slammed into his chest: “It sounded like somebody hit the bass drum, and he went back down this time,” Miracle recalled.
Bluehorse, of Kelso, was booked for investigation of second-degree burglary related to an earlier investigation, third-degree theft, trespassing, resisting arrest, obstructing an officer, malicious mischief and methamphetamine possession. He also had a no-bail Department of Corrections warrant, Hallowell said.
Bluehorse has a long criminal history involving burglary. In 2004, he was sentenced to nine years in prison for burglarizing 14 Longview businesses
Longview Police Sgt. Mike Hallowell joked that it “it took a Miracle” to catch the bad guy.
Information from: The Daily News,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier