(AP) – 1. MORE THAN 650,000 LOST POWER IN NEW ENGLAND
Even the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant in Plymouth, Mass., had to shut down and turn to backup generators.
2. GUSTS HIT 82 MPH, BUT OUTAGES COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE
With leaves gone, damage to power lines from falling branches was less than it might have been.
3. AT LEAST SEVEN PEOPLE HAVE DIED
The deaths include three in Canada and an 11-year-old boy who died in Boston of carbon monoxide in a running car as his father tried to shovel it free.
4. MORE THAN 3 FEET OF SNOW FELL IN CONNECTICUT
Maine and Long Island recorded 30-plus inches, with Massachusetts and New Hampshire not far behind.
5. IT WAS ALL TOO MUCH FOR THE POSTAL SERVICE
“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers…” was canceled when New England delivery was halted.
6. AIR TRAVEL IS COMING BACK
Flights started landing at JFK Saturday morning, and Boston’s Logan hopes to open partially by 11 p.m.
7. WHERE SNOWMOBILES BECAME RESCUE VEHICLES
Despite warnings and highway closings, hundreds of drivers were stranded on Long Island.
8. HOW SANDY VICTIMS WERE HIT AGAIN
Staten Islanders without power had only a tent shelter and tarps for protection.
9. NBA ROAD TRIPS WERE EXTENDED
The Knicks were stuck in Minnesota, the Spurs hunkered down in Detroit and the Brooklyn Nets took the train home from Washington.
10. YES, MICHAEL KORS WORE UGGS TO FASHION WEEK
“I came in looking like Pam Anderson,” the designer joked after trading up for black leather boots in New York.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains