(AP) – 1. MORE THAN 650,000 LOST POWER IN NEW ENGLAND
Even the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant in Plymouth, Mass., had to shut down and turn to backup generators.
2. GUSTS HIT 82 MPH, BUT OUTAGES COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE
With leaves gone, damage to power lines from falling branches was less than it might have been.
3. AT LEAST SEVEN PEOPLE HAVE DIED
The deaths include three in Canada and an 11-year-old boy who died in Boston of carbon monoxide in a running car as his father tried to shovel it free.
4. MORE THAN 3 FEET OF SNOW FELL IN CONNECTICUT
Maine and Long Island recorded 30-plus inches, with Massachusetts and New Hampshire not far behind.
5. IT WAS ALL TOO MUCH FOR THE POSTAL SERVICE
“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers…” was canceled when New England delivery was halted.
6. AIR TRAVEL IS COMING BACK
Flights started landing at JFK Saturday morning, and Boston’s Logan hopes to open partially by 11 p.m.
7. WHERE SNOWMOBILES BECAME RESCUE VEHICLES
Despite warnings and highway closings, hundreds of drivers were stranded on Long Island.
8. HOW SANDY VICTIMS WERE HIT AGAIN
Staten Islanders without power had only a tent shelter and tarps for protection.
9. NBA ROAD TRIPS WERE EXTENDED
The Knicks were stuck in Minnesota, the Spurs hunkered down in Detroit and the Brooklyn Nets took the train home from Washington.
10. YES, MICHAEL KORS WORE UGGS TO FASHION WEEK
“I came in looking like Pam Anderson,” the designer joked after trading up for black leather boots in New York.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon