(AP) – 1. MORE THAN 650,000 LOST POWER IN NEW ENGLAND
Even the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant in Plymouth, Mass., had to shut down and turn to backup generators.
2. GUSTS HIT 82 MPH, BUT OUTAGES COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE
With leaves gone, damage to power lines from falling branches was less than it might have been.
3. AT LEAST SEVEN PEOPLE HAVE DIED
The deaths include three in Canada and an 11-year-old boy who died in Boston of carbon monoxide in a running car as his father tried to shovel it free.
4. MORE THAN 3 FEET OF SNOW FELL IN CONNECTICUT
Maine and Long Island recorded 30-plus inches, with Massachusetts and New Hampshire not far behind.
5. IT WAS ALL TOO MUCH FOR THE POSTAL SERVICE
“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers…” was canceled when New England delivery was halted.
6. AIR TRAVEL IS COMING BACK
Flights started landing at JFK Saturday morning, and Boston’s Logan hopes to open partially by 11 p.m.
7. WHERE SNOWMOBILES BECAME RESCUE VEHICLES
Despite warnings and highway closings, hundreds of drivers were stranded on Long Island.
8. HOW SANDY VICTIMS WERE HIT AGAIN
Staten Islanders without power had only a tent shelter and tarps for protection.
9. NBA ROAD TRIPS WERE EXTENDED
The Knicks were stuck in Minnesota, the Spurs hunkered down in Detroit and the Brooklyn Nets took the train home from Washington.
10. YES, MICHAEL KORS WORE UGGS TO FASHION WEEK
“I came in looking like Pam Anderson,” the designer joked after trading up for black leather boots in New York.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl