PORT JEFFERSON, N.Y. (AP) – Miles of a major highway on New York’s Long Island will be closed Sunday as officials work to clear snow that left hundreds of cars stuck and trapped some drivers in their cars for hours.
The Suffolk County Police Department says the Long Island Expressway will be closed in both directions from exit 57 to exit 73, from about 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Those exits span about 30 miles.
Cars began getting stuck Friday afternoon as a blizzard bore down on the Northeast. Vehicles got backed up and couldn’t pass one another, and mounds of plowed snow made it difficult for them to exit the highway.
Some drivers were trapped in their cars on the expressway and other Long Island roads until Saturday morning.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development