LOS ANGELES (AP) – Seven Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies from an anti-gang unit have been notified that the department intends to fire them for being members of a secret law enforcement clique that allegedly encouraged unethical conduct.
Sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore said Wednesday the deputies were sent the letters this week after an internal investigation of their activities as members of a group called the Jump Out Boys.
The deputies were members of the Sheriff’s Gang Enforcement Team.
Law enforcement officials say the concern was that the group, with its matching tattoos and a creed seemingly promoting shootings, violated the department’s core values.
All seven were placed on paid leave during the probe. Investigators found no evidence of criminal behavior.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier