PHILADELPHIA (AP) – The nephew of reputed Philadelphia mob boss will stay in prison after a jury deadlocked on his role in Philadelphia’s La Cosa Nostra.
A federal judge Wednesday has denied George Borgesi’s release until his retrial, citing safety concerns.
The decision comes a day after a jury returned a split verdict against seven mob defendants.
The jury deadlocked on the central racketeering conspiracy charge against Borgesi, reputed boss Joseph “Uncle Joe” Ligambi and a third defendant, while convicting three others of the charge.
Prosecutors say Borgesi supervised mob activities from prison since 2000, while serving time for another racketeering case.
Meanwhile, U.S. District Eduardo Robreno revoked bail Wednesday for mob capo Anthony Staino and mob associate Gary Battaglini, both convicted Tuesday.
Ligambi’s bail hearing has not been scheduled. He’s been in custody since his 2011 arrest.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas