SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – Seven people were injured Wednesday when a San Francisco cable car carrying about 40 passengers came to a sudden stop in the city’s Nob Hill neighborhood, authorities said.
One of the injuries to an elderly man who fell and hit his head was considered potentially life-threatening, San Francisco fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge told The Associated Press.
Four other people were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
It appeared a 1.5-inch bolt stuck in the cable car’s track caused the sudden stop, San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency Director John Haley told reporters at the scene.
Officials believe the bolt did not belong to other cable cars that travel the route. Two other cable cars that passed safely through the site about 10 minutes before the accident were being inspected.
San Francisco Police Officer Mary Godfrey told KTVU-TV that a female passenger suffered a leg injury when she was thrown from the cable car.
The car’s two operators were among the injured, according to an official with the union that represents San Francisco transit workers.
The conductor underwent surgery after suffering facial and tongue injuries, while the gripman had internal injuries and cracked ribs, said Ronald Austin of the Transport Workers Union of America Local 250-A.
Service resumed shortly before 2 p.m.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.