SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – Seven people were injured Wednesday when a San Francisco cable car carrying about 40 passengers came to a sudden stop in the city’s Nob Hill neighborhood, authorities said.
One of the injuries to an elderly man who fell and hit his head was considered potentially life-threatening, San Francisco fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge told The Associated Press.
Four other people were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
It appeared a 1.5-inch bolt stuck in the cable car’s track caused the sudden stop, San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency Director John Haley told reporters at the scene.
Officials believe the bolt did not belong to other cable cars that travel the route. Two other cable cars that passed safely through the site about 10 minutes before the accident were being inspected.
San Francisco Police Officer Mary Godfrey told KTVU-TV that a female passenger suffered a leg injury when she was thrown from the cable car.
The car’s two operators were among the injured, according to an official with the union that represents San Francisco transit workers.
The conductor underwent surgery after suffering facial and tongue injuries, while the gripman had internal injuries and cracked ribs, said Ronald Austin of the Transport Workers Union of America Local 250-A.
Service resumed shortly before 2 p.m.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl