DENVER (AP) – A mother shot and killed two of her young children and critically wounded another before taking her own life in a Denver home, police said Thursday.
The surviving child, Isabel Perez, was hospitalized in critical condition in a deep coma, said Dr. Claudia Kunrath of Denver Health. Police said the child is 2.
Police identified the mother as 23-year-old Mayra Perez. The medical examiner’s office said her 4-year-old daughter died of multiple gunshot wounds and her son, who was nearly 2, died of a single gunshot wound.
Police have not discussed a possible motive.
Relatives have said the woman quarreled Tuesday night with her husband, who left their home to cool off and found the bodies when he returned early Wednesday.
“Whatever reason drove her to this, it’s going to be in God’s hands,” the children’s uncle Tony Nunez said at a news conference. “He will be the judge of her.”
Nunez didn’t take questions and said his focus is on prayers for his niece. He thanked community members who have offered support.
Police said no arrests have been made, and they weren’t searching for any suspects.
The house where the bodies were found is in an industrial area near the National Western Stock Show complex.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food