WEST MILFORD, N.J. (AP) – A loyal but frightened Labrador retriever stayed close to his owner after he died while hiking in a nature preserve, helping a search team find the body in the dark, authorities said Tuesday.
The search team spotted the dog, named Kentucky, late Saturday when its eyes reflected off their headlamps, police Lt. John Matarese told The Associated Press.
Nearby, the team found the body of 51-year-old Bjoern Waalberg, who had apparently died hours earlier.
There was no indication of foul play, police said.
Waalberg, from the borough of Kinnelon, and his dog set out for a hike mid-afternoon Saturday at the 576-acre Apshawa Preserve in northern New Jersey. The man’s wife alerted authorities just after 7 p.m. when he didn’t return by nightfall as expected.
His body was found just before 10 p.m., his dog close by.
After police found the man’s car in the parking lot, authorities said rescue teams were sent out to search the heavily wooded, hilly preserve, calling out the names of Waalberg and his dog.
West Milford Search and Rescue director Dina D’Argenio told The Record newspaper that Waalberg’s wife also helped aid the search through the tracking of calls he made on his cellphone.
Kinnelon Councilman James Freda told the newspaper that Waalberg, a married father of three, was an avid outdoorsman.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered