WEST MILFORD, N.J. (AP) – A loyal but frightened Labrador retriever stayed close to his owner after he died while hiking in a nature preserve, helping a search team find the body in the dark, authorities said Tuesday.
The search team spotted the dog, named Kentucky, late Saturday when its eyes reflected off their headlamps, police Lt. John Matarese told The Associated Press.
Nearby, the team found the body of 51-year-old Bjoern Waalberg, who had apparently died hours earlier.
There was no indication of foul play, police said.
Waalberg, from the borough of Kinnelon, and his dog set out for a hike mid-afternoon Saturday at the 576-acre Apshawa Preserve in northern New Jersey. The man’s wife alerted authorities just after 7 p.m. when he didn’t return by nightfall as expected.
His body was found just before 10 p.m., his dog close by.
After police found the man’s car in the parking lot, authorities said rescue teams were sent out to search the heavily wooded, hilly preserve, calling out the names of Waalberg and his dog.
West Milford Search and Rescue director Dina D’Argenio told The Record newspaper that Waalberg’s wife also helped aid the search through the tracking of calls he made on his cellphone.
Kinnelon Councilman James Freda told the newspaper that Waalberg, a married father of three, was an avid outdoorsman.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development