LAS VEGAS (AP) – Officials say an overheated ventilation motor in Las Vegas’ Excalibur casino caused a smoky smell and an evacuation in the wee hours Tuesday morning.
MGM resorts spokesman Gordon Absher said hotel employees evacuated one of the Las Vegas Strip casino’s four towers after alarms went off around 2 a.m. Tuesday. Guests were allowed back in to the 28-floor structure two hours later.
There was no actual fire, but the smoke smell spread because it started in the ventilation system, Absher said.
The smoke smell was drawn down from the roof and permeated three floors in one 1,000-room tower. The tower averages 36 rooms per floor.
The machinery was fixed by Tuesday afternoon.
Absher said the company regrets that guests were inconvenienced in the middle of the night.
“As far as compensation, we will handle this in the normal course of delivering our good customer service,” he said. “We’ll deal with this on a case by case basis.”
One guest said management offered to compensate him with a free buffet and refund his hotel room charges.
Dave Ward, who was visiting from Canada, said he was awoken shortly after 2 a.m. by a phone call from his friend, who had been evacuated.
“I jumped out of bed and looked out the window to see all the emergency response,” he said. “So I got dressed and grabbed my essentials and walked out.”
Dave said he smelled burning plastic and saw a haze in the air.
Las Vegas casinos have some of the most advanced fire prevention systems in the world, Absher said.
Las Vegas Strip hotels have adhered to strict fire codes enacted following two deadly high-rise hotel fires more than 30 years ago. The MGM Grand hotel blaze in November 1980 killed 87 people. An arson fire at the Las Vegas Hilton nearly three months later killed eight people.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments