LAS VEGAS (AP) – Officials say an overheated ventilation motor in Las Vegas’ Excalibur casino caused a smoky smell and an evacuation in the wee hours Tuesday morning.
MGM resorts spokesman Gordon Absher said hotel employees evacuated one of the Las Vegas Strip casino’s four towers after alarms went off around 2 a.m. Tuesday. Guests were allowed back in to the 28-floor structure two hours later.
There was no actual fire, but the smoke smell spread because it started in the ventilation system, Absher said.
The smoke smell was drawn down from the roof and permeated three floors in one 1,000-room tower. The tower averages 36 rooms per floor.
The machinery was fixed by Tuesday afternoon.
Absher said the company regrets that guests were inconvenienced in the middle of the night.
“As far as compensation, we will handle this in the normal course of delivering our good customer service,” he said. “We’ll deal with this on a case by case basis.”
One guest said management offered to compensate him with a free buffet and refund his hotel room charges.
Dave Ward, who was visiting from Canada, said he was awoken shortly after 2 a.m. by a phone call from his friend, who had been evacuated.
“I jumped out of bed and looked out the window to see all the emergency response,” he said. “So I got dressed and grabbed my essentials and walked out.”
Dave said he smelled burning plastic and saw a haze in the air.
Las Vegas casinos have some of the most advanced fire prevention systems in the world, Absher said.
Las Vegas Strip hotels have adhered to strict fire codes enacted following two deadly high-rise hotel fires more than 30 years ago. The MGM Grand hotel blaze in November 1980 killed 87 people. An arson fire at the Las Vegas Hilton nearly three months later killed eight people.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food