TEXARKANA, Texas (AP) – A Texas man accused of fatally shooting a sheriff’s deputy at a county courthouse has been ruled incompetent to stand trial.
Tucker Strickland is charged with capital murder in the 2011 slaying of 54-year-old deputy Sherri Jones.
State District Judge Leon Pesek Monday ordered the 23-year-old Strickland confined to a state mental hospital until he’s competent to be tried.
Authorities say the Texarkana man overpowered Jones as she accompanied him to a competency hearing at the Bowie County courthouse where he was accused of assaulting his mother. Prosecutors say Strickland took Jones’ gun and shot her in the head.
Strickland fled in a county transport van and was captured about 30 minutes later in Arkansas.
Strickland is held in the Fannin County Jail in Bonham under $3 million bond.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof