FAIRFIELD, Calif. (AP) – Police said Friday they have arrested a barber in the death of a 13-year-old girl whose naked body was found last week in a Northern California park.
Anthony Lamar Jones, 32, of Fairfield was taken into custody after police had him under round-the-clock surveillance as the main suspect in Genelle Renee Conway-Allen’s slaying. During a news conference to announce the arrest, police said they believe Jones, who was identified early in the investigation as a suspect, acted alone in the killing.
They did not say how the girl died, citing an ongoing investigation.
“We have evidence linking Jones to this homicide, and we believe at this time that there are no other suspects named in this case,” Fairfield Police Sgt. Rebecca Belk told reporters.
Jones worked at a barber shop less than two miles from his home. Police had the shop blocked off with crime-scene tape Friday afternoon.
The seventh-grade girl was reported missing Jan. 31 by her guardian at a foster home in nearby Suisun City. The teen was last seen at a bus stop after taking a bus from her middle school. A video camera caught an image of her talking on a cellphone wearing a pink Hello Kitty backpack.
A passer-by found the girl’s body the next morning in Allan Witt Park.
The teen’s foster family said in a statement read by Belk that they were overwhelmed with emotion after learning about the arrest.
“Finally, with tears in our hearts, we can now begin to say goodbye to sweet Genelle,” the statement read. “Genelle, we love you so much. We always will. May you find peace forever. We will always, always love you.”
A vigil for the teen was scheduled for Friday night.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns