FAIRFIELD, Calif. (AP) – Police said Friday they have arrested a barber in the death of a 13-year-old girl whose naked body was found last week in a Northern California park.
Anthony Lamar Jones, 32, of Fairfield was taken into custody after police had him under round-the-clock surveillance as the main suspect in Genelle Renee Conway-Allen’s slaying. During a news conference to announce the arrest, police said they believe Jones, who was identified early in the investigation as a suspect, acted alone in the killing.
They did not say how the girl died, citing an ongoing investigation.
“We have evidence linking Jones to this homicide, and we believe at this time that there are no other suspects named in this case,” Fairfield Police Sgt. Rebecca Belk told reporters.
Jones worked at a barber shop less than two miles from his home. Police had the shop blocked off with crime-scene tape Friday afternoon.
The seventh-grade girl was reported missing Jan. 31 by her guardian at a foster home in nearby Suisun City. The teen was last seen at a bus stop after taking a bus from her middle school. A video camera caught an image of her talking on a cellphone wearing a pink Hello Kitty backpack.
A passer-by found the girl’s body the next morning in Allan Witt Park.
The teen’s foster family said in a statement read by Belk that they were overwhelmed with emotion after learning about the arrest.
“Finally, with tears in our hearts, we can now begin to say goodbye to sweet Genelle,” the statement read. “Genelle, we love you so much. We always will. May you find peace forever. We will always, always love you.”
A vigil for the teen was scheduled for Friday night.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona