FAIRFIELD, Calif. (AP) – Police said Friday they have arrested a barber in the death of a 13-year-old girl whose naked body was found last week in a Northern California park.
Anthony Lamar Jones, 32, of Fairfield was taken into custody after police had him under round-the-clock surveillance as the main suspect in Genelle Renee Conway-Allen’s slaying. During a news conference to announce the arrest, police said they believe Jones, who was identified early in the investigation as a suspect, acted alone in the killing.
They did not say how the girl died, citing an ongoing investigation.
“We have evidence linking Jones to this homicide, and we believe at this time that there are no other suspects named in this case,” Fairfield Police Sgt. Rebecca Belk told reporters.
Jones worked at a barber shop less than two miles from his home. Police had the shop blocked off with crime-scene tape Friday afternoon.
The seventh-grade girl was reported missing Jan. 31 by her guardian at a foster home in nearby Suisun City. The teen was last seen at a bus stop after taking a bus from her middle school. A video camera caught an image of her talking on a cellphone wearing a pink Hello Kitty backpack.
A passer-by found the girl’s body the next morning in Allan Witt Park.
The teen’s foster family said in a statement read by Belk that they were overwhelmed with emotion after learning about the arrest.
“Finally, with tears in our hearts, we can now begin to say goodbye to sweet Genelle,” the statement read. “Genelle, we love you so much. We always will. May you find peace forever. We will always, always love you.”
A vigil for the teen was scheduled for Friday night.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development