PHOENIX (AP) – A woman was killed and three other people wounded Friday in a drive-by shooting in a south Phoenix neighborhood, police said.
Authorities were searching for a dark green Ford Expedition after they say four men in the vehicle pulled up to the home around 2:30 p.m. and someone fired multiple rounds.
The four victims were gathered in the home’s front yard just a few feet from the road, Phoenix police Sgt. Steve Martos said.
A woman in her 50s and another in her 20s were transported from the scene in critical condition. Martos said the older woman later died. Another woman and a man in his 20s suffered non-life threatening injuries in the shooting, he said.
None of the victims’ names were immediately released.
Martos said it’s unclear if any of the victims were related, but some neighbors, who declined to be identified, said two of the victims lived in the home and the two others were visiting. Martos said authorities were investigating a possible gang connection. He did not elaborate.
“These types of incidents historically are targeted but it’s too early in the investigation to determine if that’s the fact here,” he said.
Arizona Department of Public Safety officers were assisting Phoenix police in the search for the suspects.
Yellow crime scene tape blocked off the roads around the single story brick home, its windows covered from the inside with tin foil. At least 20 bullet shell casings were marked with white evidence cards scattered around the sidewalk just in front of the house, which sat across the street from a sign designating the area a drug and gang-free zone.
The shooting occurred just two days after a man opened fired at a Phoenix office building in a dispute over a lawsuit, killing two people and injuring a third. Police said the gunman _ Arthur Douglas Harmon, 70 _ was found dead early Thursday in the Phoenix suburb of Mesa from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them