PHOENIX (AP) – A woman was killed and three other people wounded Friday in a drive-by shooting in a south Phoenix neighborhood, police said.
Authorities were searching for a dark green Ford Expedition after they say four men in the vehicle pulled up to the home around 2:30 p.m. and someone fired multiple rounds.
The four victims were gathered in the home’s front yard just a few feet from the road, Phoenix police Sgt. Steve Martos said.
A woman in her 50s and another in her 20s were transported from the scene in critical condition. Martos said the older woman later died. Another woman and a man in his 20s suffered non-life threatening injuries in the shooting, he said.
None of the victims’ names were immediately released.
Martos said it’s unclear if any of the victims were related, but some neighbors, who declined to be identified, said two of the victims lived in the home and the two others were visiting. Martos said authorities were investigating a possible gang connection. He did not elaborate.
“These types of incidents historically are targeted but it’s too early in the investigation to determine if that’s the fact here,” he said.
Arizona Department of Public Safety officers were assisting Phoenix police in the search for the suspects.
Yellow crime scene tape blocked off the roads around the single story brick home, its windows covered from the inside with tin foil. At least 20 bullet shell casings were marked with white evidence cards scattered around the sidewalk just in front of the house, which sat across the street from a sign designating the area a drug and gang-free zone.
The shooting occurred just two days after a man opened fired at a Phoenix office building in a dispute over a lawsuit, killing two people and injuring a third. Police said the gunman _ Arthur Douglas Harmon, 70 _ was found dead early Thursday in the Phoenix suburb of Mesa from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee