WASHINGTON (AP) – The Washington Post is considering selling its 63-year-old downtown headquarters.
The Post (
http://tinyurl.com/bcqlade) reports that Publisher Katharine Weymouth made the announcement in an email to staff Friday morning. She says the company’s goal is to find “a more modern, bright, open and efficient building.”
Weymouth says The Post isn’t tied to the location at 15th and L streets, Northwest, because its printing presses have not been located there for more than a decade.
The District of Columbia government assesses The Post’s properties at nearly $80 million. Weymouth’s memo says the company has not yet decided on where or when it might move.
Some other major metropolitan newspapers have moved out of or leased their buildings, driven by industry struggles and the value of urban real estate.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas