NEW YORK (AP) – A look at some of the famous lines over the years from former New York City Mayor Ed Koch:
_”How’m I doing?”
_”I’m not the type to get ulcers. I give them.”
_”You punch me, I punch back. I do not believe it’s good for one’s self-respect to be a punching bag.”
_”If you agree with me on 9 out of 12 issues, vote for me. If you agree with me on 12 out of 12 issues, see a psychiatrist.”
_”Have you ever lived in the suburbs? It’s sterile. It’s nothing. It’s wasting your life.”
On the prospect of living in Albany, during his failed 1982 race for governor.
_”Whether I am straight or gay or bisexual is nobody’s business but mine.”
_”If they want a parade, let them parade in front of the oil drums in Moonachie.”
After the New York Giants, who play in New Jersey, asked for a permit to hold a parade in the city after winning the Super Bowl in 1987.
_”I was defeated because of longevity, not because Yusuf Hawkins was murdered six weeks before the election, although that was a factor. People get tired of you. So they decided to throw me out.”
After losing the 1989 mayoral primary.
_”It’s not soaring, beautiful, handsome, like the George Washington or the Verrazano. It’s rugged, it’s hard working _ and that’s me.”
On the 59th Street Bridge being renamed for him in 2011.
_”I don’t want to leave Manhattan, even when I’m gone. This is my home. The thought of having to go to New Jersey was so distressing to me.”
After purchasing a burial plot in Manhattan’s Trinity Cemetery in 2008.
_”I know that nothing happens here on this Earth that wasn’t ordained by God. I know that. You know that. And therefore, while I know that it was the people who elected me, it was God who selected me.” In 1985, during an Easter Sunday worship in Harlem explaining why he thought he was selected by God to be mayor. The next day, Koch stressed that it did not necessarily mean he was endorsed by God.
“Not that I was given approval by the Deity, but I am delighted I was given the opportunity by the Deity.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier