LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) – Efforts to re-establish industrial hemp in the state where it once flourished are winning support from U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. McConnell said its legalization in his home state of Kentucky would benefit farmers and produce jobs to convert the plants into products.
Hemp supporters trumpeted the timely thumbs-up Thursday from the state’s most powerful Republican. It comes amid a lobbying campaign by both hemp backers and detractors before state lawmakers resume their regular 2013 session next week.
In a statement, McConnell said if hemp represents a new opportunity to create jobs, “that sounds like a good thing to me.”
The Kentucky Senate Agriculture Committee is scheduled to review legislation Feb. 11 to strictly regulate industrial hemp production if the federal government lifts its decades-long ban on the crop.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon