SPARKS, Nev. (AP) – Authorities recovered more than 100 pounds of marijuana with a street value of nearly $500,000 from the SUV that was carrying four suspected drug traffickers from Florida before one fled a traffic stop on Interstate 80 in Nevada, stole a state trooper’s cruiser and ultimately shot himself to death.
A total of 109 pounds of pot was found wrapped in packages in the back of the 2013 Ford Explorer that a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper first pulled over five miles east of Reno at 3:55 p.m. Monday, NHP spokesman Chuck Allen said Thursday. He estimated the value at $495,000, based on a sale price of $10 per gram.
Devin Peterson, a 22-year-old felon from Jacksonville on probation for carrying a concealed weapon, managed to steal a trooper’s cruiser and use his shotgun to carjack another vehicle during a chase on I-80. The chase ended with Peterson shooting himself in the chest with the officer’s weapon near Fernley, about 30 miles east of Reno.
The other three suspects, all from Jacksonville, are being held on a series of drug charges in the Washoe County Jail in lieu of $150,000 bail each.
Christian Magliano, 23, Manuel Rodriguez, 29, and Mollie Bass, 29, made an initial appearance before a Sparks Justice Court judge via a video hookup Thursday, but the proceeding was continued into next week because the district attorney’s office has not yet filed the criminal complaint.
The three earlier were booked on suspicion of selling a controlled substance, possessing a controlled substance for sale and conspiracy to violate a uniform controlled substance act. A fourth count, trafficking marijuana, was added Thursday.
The judge gave prosecutors until 3:30 p.m. Monday to file the formal complaint.
Peterson apparently managed to figure out how to activate a switch on the electronic lock where the trooper’s weapon was being held, but details remain sketchy about the exact chain of events.
All four of the occupants were outside of the SUV under the watch of one trooper while another trooper searched the vehicle _ a rental from Florida, Allen said. He said the trooper had just pulled one of several packages of a “substantial amount” of marijuana from the vehicle and was turning to arrest the four when Peterson took off.
“The young kid decided to make a run for it, and he did and he was able to get away before we could get bracelets on them,” Allen said.
Two state troopers have been placed on paid administrative leave as a routine procedure when officers are involved in shootings. At least one fired shots at the tires of the cruiser as Peterson fled.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food