PHOENIX (AP) – Republican proposals to ban state enforcement of federal gun laws, require hospitals to check citizenship of patients and require high school graduates to recite loyalty oaths are drawing attention in the Arizona legislature.
That’s despite promises from top leaders in the GOP-controlled House and Senate to instead spend their time on budgets, sales tax reform and education.
Republican Senate President Andy Biggs calls bills pushed by tea party conservatives “esoteric” while leading Democrats criticize them as unconstitutional.
It’s too early to know if the bills will gain traction. But they are distractions for lawmakers and come as Republicans nationally are trying to rebrand the party.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is calling for fellow Republicans to “stop being the stupid party” and focus on issues that matter to more Americans.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever