PHOENIX (AP) – Republican proposals to ban state enforcement of federal gun laws, require hospitals to check citizenship of patients and require high school graduates to recite loyalty oaths are drawing attention in the Arizona legislature.
That’s despite promises from top leaders in the GOP-controlled House and Senate to instead spend their time on budgets, sales tax reform and education.
Republican Senate President Andy Biggs calls bills pushed by tea party conservatives “esoteric” while leading Democrats criticize them as unconstitutional.
It’s too early to know if the bills will gain traction. But they are distractions for lawmakers and come as Republicans nationally are trying to rebrand the party.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is calling for fellow Republicans to “stop being the stupid party” and focus on issues that matter to more Americans.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain