PHOENIX (AP) – Republican proposals to ban state enforcement of federal gun laws, require hospitals to check citizenship of patients and require high school graduates to recite loyalty oaths are drawing attention in the Arizona legislature.
That’s despite promises from top leaders in the GOP-controlled House and Senate to instead spend their time on budgets, sales tax reform and education.
Republican Senate President Andy Biggs calls bills pushed by tea party conservatives “esoteric” while leading Democrats criticize them as unconstitutional.
It’s too early to know if the bills will gain traction. But they are distractions for lawmakers and come as Republicans nationally are trying to rebrand the party.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is calling for fellow Republicans to “stop being the stupid party” and focus on issues that matter to more Americans.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development