LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) – Nebraska says a law that establishes a review process for a proposed Keystone XL oil pipeline is constitutional.
The state responded Monday to a lawsuit filed by three opponents of the pipeline that will carry Canadian tar sands oil across several U.S. states to Gulf coast refineries.
The lawsuit says the state law is unconstitutional because it doesn’t allow for judicial review or spell out what criteria should be considered when evaluating a pipeline project.
Three landowners filed the lawsuit. The state argued unsuccessfully in September for the lawsuit to be dismissed.
The Attorney General’s Office also contends that the landowners have no rights to assert as taxpayers in this case because no tax money is being spent. TransCanada is required to reimburse the state for the review.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier