NEW YORK (AP) – The widow of a New York City police officer claims her husband committed suicide because his supervisor demanded sex from him in exchange for a favorable work schedule and job assignments.
Officer Mathew Schindler’s career depended on his “submission to the sexual advances” of his married supervisor, Sgt. Christine Hirtzel, according to the suit filed by his wife, Gina, in Queens Supreme Court last week.
“Schindler was made to understand that he would suffer tangible detriment in his job, job assignments, working conditions and future prospects if he did not submit to the sexual advances,” the suit says.
It alleges that Schindler told Hirtzel he would kill himself if the advances didn’t stop, telling her he found them “repugnant and causing him psychic injury and suffering.”
Hirtzel refused to break of the affair but let him leave the stationhouse with his service weapon, according to the court papers. The sergeant reported the suicide threat to a captain and confessed to an affair with the officer, the papers say.
The captain then allegedly attempted “to rectify the hostile work environment and persuade him against suicide” by calling the officer.
Schindler, the father of three small children, shot himself in the head in his car on the Long Island Expressway on Feb. 13, 2012. The 14-year veteran of the force was assigned to the 115th Precinct in Queens.
The suit seeks unspecified damages.
Hirtzel’s husband, the NYPD and Gina Schindler declined to comment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.