CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) – A former Colorado Springs prosecutor who has tried four death penalty cases and several murder cases will lead the prosecution against the suspect in the Colorado theater shooting case.
The hiring of Dan Zook was announced Wednesday by 18th Judicial District Attorney George Brauchler.
James Holmes faces 166 felony charges in the July 20 shooting in Aurora that left 12 people dead and 70 people injured. Brauchler hasn’t said whether he will seek the death penalty for Holmes.
Holmes is scheduled to enter a plea in March.
Zook served as a top state prosecutor in Colorado Springs for a total of 23 years between 1985 and 2011. During a stint in private practice, Zook defended a suspect accused of first-degree murder.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development