MIAMI (AP) – A teen accused of fatally shooting a 13-year-old girl on a school bus while he was showing off his stepfather’s gun was in court Wednesday to face adult charges that include manslaughter with a deadly weapon, according to online court records.
Besides manslaughter, prosecutors last week charged 15-year-old Jordyn Howe with possession of a firearm by a minor and carrying a concealed weapon, Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts records showed. Howe is free on $1,000 bond and is only allowed to leave his home for school, church and meeting his attorney. He had previously faced juvenile charges.
“Upon a review of all the available evidence and interviewing all of the available witnesses, it was determined that charging Jordyn Howe as an adult was the proper course of action,” state attorney spokesman Ed Griffith said in an email.
Howe has pleaded not guilty, and his attorney Gale Lewis said she couldn’t comment on an open pending case.
“Our sympathies go out to the victim’s family of this tragic event,” Lewis said in an email.
According to a Miami-Dade police report, Howe was riding a private school bus the morning of Nov. 20 when he took his stepfather’s handgun from his backpack. The weapon discharged once, hitting Lourdes Guzman-DeJesus. She died at a Miami hospital.
Eight other children, including Guzman-DeJesus’ 7-year-old sister, were on the bus but were not harmed.
The girl attended the charter middle school Palm Glades Preparatory Academy. Her sister went to nearby Summerville Advantage Academy.
Just more than a month after her death, authorities say her father, 34-year-old Armando Alexander Guzman, killed himself.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food