MIAMI (AP) – A teen accused of fatally shooting a 13-year-old girl on a school bus while he was showing off his stepfather’s gun was in court Wednesday to face adult charges that include manslaughter with a deadly weapon, according to online court records.
Besides manslaughter, prosecutors last week charged 15-year-old Jordyn Howe with possession of a firearm by a minor and carrying a concealed weapon, Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts records showed. Howe is free on $1,000 bond and is only allowed to leave his home for school, church and meeting his attorney. He had previously faced juvenile charges.
“Upon a review of all the available evidence and interviewing all of the available witnesses, it was determined that charging Jordyn Howe as an adult was the proper course of action,” state attorney spokesman Ed Griffith said in an email.
Howe has pleaded not guilty, and his attorney Gale Lewis said she couldn’t comment on an open pending case.
“Our sympathies go out to the victim’s family of this tragic event,” Lewis said in an email.
According to a Miami-Dade police report, Howe was riding a private school bus the morning of Nov. 20 when he took his stepfather’s handgun from his backpack. The weapon discharged once, hitting Lourdes Guzman-DeJesus. She died at a Miami hospital.
Eight other children, including Guzman-DeJesus’ 7-year-old sister, were on the bus but were not harmed.
The girl attended the charter middle school Palm Glades Preparatory Academy. Her sister went to nearby Summerville Advantage Academy.
Just more than a month after her death, authorities say her father, 34-year-old Armando Alexander Guzman, killed himself.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl