NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Al Gore is defending the sale of his television channel to Al-Jazeera, saying the news organization is hard-hitting, especially on climate issues, which is his passion.
The Qatar-based Al-Jazeera earlier this month struck a deal to buy Current TV for $500 million. The cable news network was co-founded by the former vice president. Gore told The Associated Press Tuesday that he had no reservations about selling it to Al-Jazeera.
He says he considers Current TV to have been a success in that it won awards and was profitable each year.
Gore in his latest book titled, “The Future: Six Drivers of Global Change,” makes only a fleeting reference to Al-Jazeera. He calls it a “feisty and relatively independent” satellite network.
He also takes aim in the book at corporate media for “suffocating the free flow of ideas.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains